UA-38867514-1
skip to main content
Doug King Staff Photo

Honors Algebra 2 Syllabus 

Honors Algebra II Course Syllabus

Instructor: Mr. Doug King                                           Room #: 609

E-mail: kingd@hcboe.net                                           Website: http://mhhsw.hcboe.net/ 

Welcome to Honors Algebra II. It is my pleasure to welcome you into my classroom. I trust that you are prepared to experience an “Explosion of Learning”. This semester is going to be an exciting one. Algebra II begins with a short review of Algebra I, and then moves very quickly into new and challenging material. Algebra II is considered the gateway course to most four year colleges. Success in this class will require a great deal of work and completion of all assignments in a timely fashion. In December you will be taking the mandated EOC Test for Algebra II.

Course Description: Honors Algebra II is a one-semester course that expands and accelerates all topics in the Tennessee State Standards for Algebra II, including probability, linear, quadratic and polynomial functions, rational equations, matrices, complex numbers, factoring polynomials, radical expressions, exponential functions, logarithms, conic sections, sequence and series, and trigonometry.

Course Philosophy: Honors Algebra II is an advanced mathematics course. The students in this course are expected to be diligent and desiring a challenge beyond a normal Algebra II class. A strong emphasis will be placed on critical thinking skills, verbal and written communication of methods for problem solving. Students will be asked to explain answers and show work on homework and testing, not simply state answers.

Supplies: Each student will be provided a book. He/she will need a three ring binder, loose-leaf paper, and pencils. Graphing calculators will be provided from time to time in class. If a student wishes to use their own calculator on tests and quizzes, it must be approved by me since not all calculators are suitable.

Homework: Homework will be assigned with most class sessions (including weekends). To maximize its effectiveness, homework should be done in a timely fashion. On most days, students will be provided the answers to their previous night’s assignment. A limited amount of time will be given daily for answering questions from their assignment. If time does not permit me to answer all homework questions during class, students are invited to set-up additional after-school tutoring sessions.  Periodically, assignments may be taken up for a grade. 

Grades: Will be calculated using the following percentages:

Test: (65%) Combination of Multiple Choice and Free Response

Quiz: (35%) A short 5 minute quiz will be given at the beginning of most class sessions. No quiz will be given on a scheduled test date.

*Quizzes, unless otherwise stated by the instructor, may be retaken one time per quiz. The retake will be different, but will test the same objectives. Before retaking a quiz, the student may be required to submit their notebook for evaluation. If the notebook is not well-maintained (i.e. unorganized, missing assignments, etc.), the student’s request for a re-do may be denied.

**During the second nine weeks, the percentages described above will be used to calculate 75% of the student’s grade. The remaining 25% will the student’s Algebra II EOC score.

Extra Help: If a student needs additional help, I will be here most afternoons until 3:45.

Attendance and Make-up Work: Attendance is crucial to success. It is very difficult to keep up if one misses class. See your student handbook for the policies concerning make-up work due to absences.

Discipline: I follow the assertive discipline plan outlined in the handbook. It is expected of you to be on time to class. You should have everything out and ready to go when the bell rings.

 

Hall Passes: Please use the restroom during class change. The hall pass will only be used in case of an emergency.

 

Once again, it is my joy to have you as a student in class.   --- Mr. King